Translate

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Night #80 - Blogger Commentary Part 1

I've actually managed to find several other blogs either devoted or related to Night at the Museum, and numerous other blog posts (usu. reviews, which I'll get to later), and I'd like to kick off the next few posts by going through them and offering my take.

The first up to the plate is "A Night at the Museum", which is perhaps the most educationally-oriented and informative of the group. But the format leaves a good deal to be desired. Let me explain my bias here: I like good, long detailed things, but not so long that I get lost in it and eventually give up reading. This is why I like Yu-Gi-Oh! (complex plot and characters, takes time to develop (50 ep season avg with surprisingly low filler should say a lot right there, in my opinion), and above all, engaging). This may be a product of growing up, but I'm more willing to sit through an hour or two of you positing at me about ancient astronaut theory or something which actually has basis, for that matter, than, say, a string of half-hour Disney sitcom episodes. The format for "A Night at the Museum" goes like this: paragraph of informative but easy-to-understand text, followed by pictures to illustrate the point, or a link, or both. Very short blog posts overall.

Don't get me wrong. This is a good jumping-off point if you want to actually go in and research the elements the author discusses on your own (papyrus's many uses, for example, or mummification, ancient buildings, or ancient farming and surveying techniques), but humans are lazy. Let's face it. It's in our nature to want to find everything we want to know in one spot. This may be what the author is catering to by the method she's chosen to use, but quite frankly, for the curious armchair blog peruser, this isn't quite enough. Granted, a curious person may go and look things up for him- or herself, but not every curious person has that kind of motivation. As I said before, humans are lazy. We like "one-stop shopping", and for the purpose this blog seems like it's trying to serve, it comes off more like window-shopping or catalog advertising, if you want to keep the analogy.

Verdict: 3 stars. Good, interesting stuff, but you need more of it.

P.S. This blog was last updated Sept. of 2012, but being written by a busy mom, this is more forgivable than in most cases.

Next on "For the Love of Night at the Museum": Next on my blogroll: a blog called Night at the Museum 2 (Not to be confused with the UK title for Battle of the Smithsonian, Night at the Museum 2).

Countdown: 292 Days to NATM 3

No comments:

Post a Comment