Translate

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Night #117 - Let's Play Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - Part 11

Sorry, I got my night numbering off for a while, but it's fixed now.

In any event, the epic and rousing conclusion of "Let's Play Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" has finally arrived! Over the past ten parts we've seen plot changes, questing, complete changes of voice which have led me at least to tell people that these beloved characters have been replaced by pod people, mind-numbing frustration, terrible rendering, random characters, and monkey antics. And we finally made it. I hope all my dear readers aren't in insane asylums right now, because I promise. It's finally over.


Evidently Kahmunrah has an obsession (at least in this game) with the trope Doomy Dooms of Doom.

The narrator doesn't seem to pay attention to the text on the screen informing her of the quest: "Unlock the first obelisk with your key chain." Hence, the intensely frustrating and continual professions of confusion.

Fuck you and your confusion, BJK, because it's really starting to piss me off.

"Phenomenal cosmic power." But is unlocking the obelisks a good thing? I assume so since that's what we're told to do. And if Kahmunrah is working against the will of the gods (disorder/isfet, hence the columns), then putting the columns to right should at least symbolically mean restoration of order. Or I'm thinking way too much about a video game that hardly thinks at all.

Hurricane of puns.

She totally missed the yellow jewel. Maybe I'm frustrated because I'm doing this from a YouTube videos standpoint rather than actually playing it, but even so.

I love how the miniatures cheer for victory but they didn't do shit. I don't love how Kahmunrah is even more of the spoiled little shit in the video game than he is in the movie. In the movie I can actually figure some of his neuroses and attribute them to causes. Here, I just want to slug him soundly.

Flying out is actually somewhat reminiscent of the end sequence of BOTS the movie.

"What do you mean you don't serve sasparilla? What kind of operation is this?"

My summation: Overall it looks like it's good as a game, but as an adaptation of the movie, there are more holes than there are not: for example, where did Kahmunrah get mystical powers? Where did the tablet all of a sudden get all these powers? Half of them don't even make sense in the context of what the tablet is (for newcomers, here's my take). I liked that we got just slightly more background on Kahmunrah than we do in the movie, and get to see his sarcophagus, but the background information is wrong based on the canon date which Ahkmenrah himself gives in the ending to the movie. Kahmunrah himself they reduced to a whiny, demanding little shit who emotionally isn't more than six years old (which a friend of mine and I consider canon anyway, but in the movie it's more bearable and we, as I said, can pull apart what makes him tick after some good, hard thinking). To make it more bearable for hardened fans of the movie, you can think of it this way: the characters have pretty much all been replaced by defective pod people, or you can lose yourself in the huge bulk of the game spent questing for ingots and not talking to people, because that part is actually kind of soothing. For everything/everyone else, sorry, you're SOL.

Next on "For the Love of Night at the Museum": Remembering Mickey Rooney.

Countdown: 256 Days to NATM 3.

NATM 3 Update: I just learned, much to my dismay, that Mickey Rooney has passed, having gone this past Sunday at the ripe old age of 93. Gee, where's the tablet's magic when you need it?

No comments:

Post a Comment